Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Brigade Rd, Bangalore

I wanted to do a little more shopping last night, so I went to the Cauvery at MG Rd. and Brigade Rd.  The Cauvery is a state-run emporium with local goods and handicrafts.  Unlike a lot of shops that cater to tourists, there were no people following you around trying to sell you every single thing in the store which was kind of nice.  I guess that’s because it’s government owned, so there’s no pressure to make money.  There are a lot of really nice things there, but unfortunately, I arrived just before they were closing and was promptly kicked out.  This was another difference from most tourist shops; they don’t care if you’re going to buy more stuff when it’s time to close.

I walked down Brigade Rd. which is absolutely crammed from top to bottom with shops and lights.  I went into a music store, but didn’t really see anything that grabbed me.  I headed to Rice Bowl nearby for a fix of Chinese food.

The food was OK, but I wound up sitting with a fellow from Dublin who decided that he was going to see India for a couple of months.  He’s also in the computer biz, and timed his visit with a conference in Bangalore.  We had a good chat for about an hour or so before I had to head out (when it gets later, it gets harder and harder to find a ride).

On the way home, the auto-rickshaw almost ran out of gas.  Right after that, we almost hit a donkey.

1 comment:

Kiran said...

Hey Greg, that was good :-). Have a safe flight to the US and back home. The training was good enough to get me started on web services, hands on.

btw, this is my blog on travel :
http://sarvepalli.blogspot.com/