Thursday, February 22, 2007

Attack of the Killer Insects from Cartagena

I spent part of an evening sitting out by the pool last Wednesday when I was in Cartagena and got bitten quite badly by mosquitoes. I don't know if they have a different kind of mosquito in Colombia, but these ones are nasty. It's been over a week and my feet and elbows where I was bitten are still covered in giant red welts that itch like crazy. I'm not sure but I don't think that's normal as I don't usually react to mosquito bites at all. I even went so far as to double-check that this was not an early symptom of malaria. Maybe it wasn't mosquitoes at all and it was spiders biting me and laying eggs. Didn't that happen in that movie The Serpent and the Rainbow? I used to have nightmares about that. Wonderful thought.

Visa put a hold on my card this week. Fair enough as I forgot to call them before I left on this trip. When I called them to get it released, they did the usual verification of the purchases that led to the hold in the first place. The purchases in question were the ten euro I spent for Wifi access, and the 2.70 euro I spent on a train ticket to Paris on Sunday. Apparently, dropping well over a thousand dollars on hotels, meals, and drinks in Colombia wasn't an issue. The big-time thieves are after Wifi and public transportation. Lovely. Good job.

Lara made it to Paris yesterday. She was a bit dragged out from having flown all night and then walking around Paris all day yesterday. We ended up going to a good Moroccan place not far from the hotel in Noisy le Grand. Moroccan food is good. Tonight we'll go to the city before she heads back home in the morning.

No comments: