Thursday, March 02, 2006

Night School

I’m teaching this week north of Atlanta, but instead of the normal 9 to 5 thing, it’s got a bit of a twist.  The client is a large Indian outsourcing company working for an insurance company here in the US.  Since they are on contract during the day, class is running from 2pm-9pm.  At first, I thought this was going to totally suck, but it turns out that it’s actually kind of cool.  In the morning, I kind of hang around, go out for a coffee, hit the grocery store (I bring my dinner in since we have a very short dinner break), and just lounge.  Class goes by really fast for some reason; maybe it’s because we’re in a small room with no windows, so the passage of time isn’t readilly apparent.  Also since the students have all been working since 8am, they’re not in much of a mood to stay a whole lot after class to do extra work (last night, they even had a call at 10pm).  Sweet!

I was planning on going to the Atlanta Aquarium this week and spending some of my free time there, but it didn’t pan out.  I picked up a bit of cold (small room, lots of people and stale air), so I didn’t feel much like it in the end.  Also, I got hit with a bunch of conference calls; people taking advantage of my new found daytime availability.

One downside is that I haven’t been able to hit a lot of restaurants while here in Atlanta (and there are some good ones).  I might go to Fat Matt’s BBQ and blues club tonight if I’m wired after class, but I have to teach again at 8am since I’m flying home tomorrow night.  We’ll see what happens.  I can always sleep on the plane.

No comments: